Can cinnamon rolls really be healthy? The infamous Cinnabon regular roll clocks in at 880 calories per roll (wow!). I personally think that the calories are worth it at times, but some days I do feel like making healthier decisions. This week I had the pleasure of partnering up with JEM Organics to experiment with some of their delicious, organic nut butters. Their stoneground nut butters are packed with clean ingredients and satisfying flavors, making them super indulgent but also good for your health. ❤
One of their most popular nut butters is the Cinnamon Maca Almond Butter. The maca root is an ancient and healing herb that is known to be of greatest benefit to women! When paired with warming cinnamon, coconut sugar, almonds, and vanilla, it’s no wonder this flavor was a 2020 Good Food Award Winner! Personally, I LOVE this flavor and have been topping my morning oatmeal generously with it.
These rolls contain less sugar than traditional cinnamon rolls and can be topped with greek yogurt and cinnamon as a healthier alternative to cream cheese frosting. However, don’t hesitate to try the cream frosting as well (it’s amazing!). The filling is enhanced by the almond butter, which gives it a better, more spreadable consistency as well. Overall, these rolls came out delicious!
- Taste: ★★★★★
- Difficulty: ★★
- Ingredients: ★★★
- Time: ~2 hours
Ingredients (makes ~6 large rolls)
- ½ cup WARM milk
- 1 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 large egg (room temp)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (almost melted or softened)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1- 2 tbsp Jem Organics Cinnamon Maca Almond Butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (for pouring over the risen rolls later)
- 3 oz cream cheese (softened) or melted white chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- ~2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tbsp vanilla extract
- For a healthier option, mix greek yogurt, cinnamon, and powdered sugar until desired amount and consistency is reached.
- Pour the warm milk in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast overtop.
- Add the eggs, butter, salt and sugar and mix
- Add in 2 cups (save the other ¼ cup and add only if you need it) of flour and mix. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes so the flour has time to soak up the liquids.
- Knead the dough, adding in up to 1/2 cup more flour if needed to form a dough. Knead for 5-7 minutes or until the dough is elastic and smooth. Grease a large bowl and put the smooth dough in it
- Cover the bowl with a towel or wax paper and let rise/proof for about 30 min in a warm (but turned off) microwave or oven.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the cinnamon filling. In a medium bowl, combine the softened butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and almond butter. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Sprinkle a pastry mat generously with flour. Turn out the dough onto the pastry mat and sprinkle the top of the dough with additional flour. Roll the dough into a rectangle shape – dough should be about ½ in. thick
- Use a rubber spatula or spoon to smooth the cinnamon filling over the whole dough rectangle.
- Starting on the long end, roll the dough up tightly jelly-roll style. Cut into 6 slices and place in a greased baking pan
- Cover the pan and allow the rolls to rise for 20 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 C)
- Warm the heavy cream slightly.
- Once the rolls have risen, pour the heavy cream over the top of the rolls, allowing it to soak down in and around the rolls.
- Bake at 375 degrees for ~20-23 minutes, until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the center of the rolls are cooked through.
- Take out and let rolls cool. While the rolls are cooling, prepare the frosting of your choice.
- In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese (or melted white chocolate) and butter using a spoon or hand mixer. Blend well. Add in vanilla extract and the powdered sugar. Beat and mix until combined. For a healthier option, mix greek yogurt, cinnamon, and powdered sugar until desired amount and consistency is reached.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled rolls. Drizzle over more cinnamon maca almond butter!
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!!